Tuesday, June 9, 2009

when I loved wal-mart


yes. there it is. it's out there now.
some people liked the Disney Store, others, Toys R' Us. 
John, liked wal-mart.

Before we go on, please note I am now a firm wal-mart hater. I don't go to wal-mart to shop, and if I happen to be in one, I don't enjoy being there. But there was a time in my life when  for some reason I really, really loved wal-mart. so i apologize for the lunacy of this time of my life.

It was a crazy fascination with the retail giant. Now, I knew we had Meijer...but those had become boring. There wasn't a wal-mart around me for miles. and the prices! oh the sweet sweet low prices! The commercials said they were rollin' em back and I wanted to spend my hard earned paper route cash at the wal-mart!

Whenever our family went on vacation or we happen to be somewhere there was a wal-mart, I would literally get excited. I NEEDED to stop. It was a moment of pure ecstasy, I wanted to go into every wal-mart as if I was fulfilling life goals by being there and to appreciate the different lay out from the previous wal-mart we went to the town back. I loved walking through the toy aisles, touching the toys I could have at such bargain prices, imagining the fun I could have with them, all because wal-mart offered them so cheap. 
I remember only a few specific things I wanted from a wal-mart, one, 1/64 matchbox nascar cars-of course to the get buckshot jones cars I did not own, and two, they offered gangster rap cd's pre-edited!. (side note here: I was also in a phase of liking all sorts of rap music, generally because i liked the beats, most of it however was laced with cuss words and all sorts of provocative lyrics that my mother did not approve of--nevertheless, I wanted it. wal-mart offered those previously unpurchaseable parental advisory cd's edited, as if to please mothers and make it possible for 11 year olds to buy them) That's probably why I liked to go there the most, oh, and because their 20 oz. coke's were super cheap then too. It was as if wal-mart thanked me personally with a fresh, cold coke to enjoy as I left their store.

so, maybe you're laughing at me right now for the ridiculous wal-mart loving period of my life, or maybe you suddenly realize that you once loved wal-mart passionately too. 

a wal-mart hatin', low price shoppin', cool hat wearin' friend,
john

1 comment:

  1. I wonder how much vacation time was wasted fulfilling your stupid Wal-Mart fetish. We could have spent that time learning something at a museum or a brewery or something.

    ReplyDelete